I spent the weekend with most of my North American ThoughtWorks colleagues at an event called the "North American Away Day." It was a pretty overwhelming experience, overall, but here were some highlights for me:
- Filming a ThoughtWorks "It Gets Better" video with LGBT friends and allies in a beautiful gully outside the St. Charles, Illinois, venue. Rajiv Mathew kindly shot the video--he is amazing. (photo courtesy of Chris Stevenson).
- Meeting Christopher Atkins again, and finding out about his blog. Check out this beautiful Tufte-quality graph depicting the value of agile methods.
- Hearing Amy Goodman of Democracy Now! speak--she is the most amazing speaker I have ever experienced. If you're sitting around feeling depressed and worried that we don't have any independent press any more, she's way ahead of you, and thank God for that.
- Finding out about OpenMRS, an organization creating a software platform to be used to track medical records (rather than some old Access database) -- it is used all over the world!
- Seeing colleagues recreate the "Yes Dance" Youtube video during the (3+ hour!) talent show on Saturday night. I'm pretty sure we all spent the weekend "Yessing too hard." (Pretty sure that a whole week of this would kill me!) (Photo stolen from Ethan Teng)
- Wearing a false mustache and dancing onstage for the talent show with collegues at ThoughtWorks Studios (sincerely hoping that photos of this do NOT surface--but it's significant consolation to know that the mustache will protect my identity)